Self-employment advice, training and long-term support
"It gave me confidence that it's a real possibility to become self-employed, rather than think because of prison there's no hope, help or support."
We currently deliver a full range of services in 32 prisons and 2 Probation areas and we have adapted our successful self-employment service to cater for the Covid-19 restrictions that are currently in place, moving from in-person meetings to telephone consultations with a Business Start-Up Specialist and the creation of a self-employment workbook which has been recognised by the Institute for Enterprise and Entrepreneurs (IOEE).
This new model of delivery is currently being delivered across North and West London DWP regions, for all three Contract Package Areas that APM deliver their CFO3 programme in, in four prisons as part of their Dynamic Purchasing Scheme (DPS) and with the Work and Health Programme in Wales.
Our remodelled self-employment service now consists of:
- A self-employment workbook for the customer to complete focusing on topics such as: business insurance, funding, competitor research, pricing, and marketing. Once this workbook is completed and sent to us, we provide constructive and comprehensive feedback on what they have written and encourage ongoing communication. They will also receive a certificate from the Institute of Enterprise & Entrepreneurs (IOEE) for having completed the workbook and 12 months access to their online campus
- An initial 45 minute phone call with a RIFT Business Start-Up Specialist who will discuss the customer’s self-employment plans in detail and who will provide expert advice and guidance on what steps they should start thinking about in preparation for commencing their business on release. An Action Plan is agreed and a RIFT Business Start-Up Advisor is allocated as the Case Manager as the customer commences their self-employment journey
- They will receive unlimited support from their RIFT Case Manager during their first year of trading and we will provide regular feedback to the funder regarding what progress they are making
- The support on release includes: access to a specialist insurance broker, free business cards, website and marketing support, weekly webinars, start-up loan advice, cash-flow and payroll services, accountancy support and competitor analysis.
- We will complete their first Self-Assessment tax return for them free of charge at the end of their first year of trading, teaching them how to do it for themselves the following year